VéloCity Bicycle Cooperative Adopts New Safe Space Policy
At the March 24, 2016 Volunteer Meeting, the Véloteers adopted the following Safe Space Policy:
- We enter with a commitment to mutual respect, mutual aid, anti-oppression advocacy, conflict resolution, anti-violence, and community building.
- We respect everyone’s names, preferred gender pronouns, expressed identities and experiences.
- We support the empowerment of each person and group.
- We commit to making spaces as accessible as possible; physically, socially, and personally.
- We are peaceful and honest.
- We respect each others bodies and spaces.
- We commit to hearing each other and creating opportunities for all voices to be heard.
- We accept a shared responsibility to hold ourselves and one another accountable for these agreements’ intent.
- We encourage open minds and open hearts.
- We promote inclusive learning spaces and questions in the spirit of personal growth.
“VéloCity has always been about inclusiveness,” said Volunteer Co-Coordinator Kyle Goodwill. “Adopting this Safe Space Policy gives us a chance to reinforce this shared value, and make it visible in the shop at all times.”
This policy mirrors the Safer Space Agreement made at bike!bike! 2014 in Columbus, Ohio.