- Basic Maintenance Class <-- Click the link to sign-up
12 Oct 2023 - 06:00 PM - 08:00 PM
2111 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria
- Dismount/remount wheels, remove tire, remove tube, inspect rim tape, repair tube (shop tube, not yours) and minor wheel tuning for proper braking
- Inspect and adjust brakes/cables
- Inspect crank-arm and pedals, inspect and lubricate chain
- Inspect derailleur cables and make minor derailleur adjustments
- The cooperative is supported through your generous donations and our volunteers. We ask for a $30 donation for the class which is paid through our PayPay account during class registration. If you would like to discuss other options, please contact the instructor or stop by the cooperative.
- Because of many "no-show" students, if you elect not to pre-pay, you must confirm your reservation with a separate email to the instructor (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your booking is automatically placed on the "wait-list" and the seat will available to those who choose to pre-pay. After you register you will receive an email requesting confirmation. Students who do not confirm their attendance within seven (7) days will be removed from the class roster and the class is subject cancellation.
- Class will be postponed when Alexandria Public Schools are closed for inclement weather. An email will be sent as soon as an alternate date is determined.
- When there is an inclement weather forecast, a postponement decision is generally made no later than noon of the class date. Please check the email address you provided or contact the coop.
- Occasionally the instructor may have to cancel a class. Notification will be sent out as early as possible along with rescheduling options.
Come learn about basic bicycle maintenance on your own bike. You will learn trail side repairs and the basic adjustments/repairs necessary to keep your bike rolling safely and smoothly. The class is about 2 hours long, scheduled from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. We tend to end a little after 8:00 PM
This is a hands-on class. Please bring your bike/one for each student.
Unfortunately our limited time together students will not be able to fully tune up their bike during class, nor will the instructor be able to interrupt the class to troubleshoot and help repair your bike. The class will be paced to cover the entire syllabus.
Véloteers are available Wednesday evening and on the weekend to help you apply what you have learned and assist with troubleshooting and repairs.
Bicycle maintenance requires a basic mechanical skill set. "Righty tighty, lefty loosey." Use of wrenches, screwdrivers, hex-keys, etc. These skills are necessary to complete the class in the allotted time. If you aren't comfortable using these tools, please visit the coop prior to the class with your bike for assistance. We're happy to help you learn but have to respect all the student's need to complete the class material.