Basic Bicycle Maintenance Class
Come learn about basic bicycle maintenance on your own bike. You will learn trail side repairs and the basic adjustments/repairs necessary to keep your bike rolling safely smoothly. The class is about 3 hours long, scheduled from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM. We tend to end a little after 9 PM. To ensure quality instruction, the class is limited to two (2) students unless pre-coordinated with the instructor.
- Walk-in students are generally not accepted. Please don’t assume a class listed below has room for you.
- The class will be paced to cover the entire syllabus and we won’t be able to stop and repair individual bikes. Also, the class requires some experience with the use of wrenches, screwdrivers, and hex-keys (‘righty-tighty, lefty-loosey’ should be a familiar phrase). If you aren’t comfortable using these tools, please bring your bike to the shop prior to the class to get your hands a little dirty.
- Interested in becoming a Véloteer but not sure about your skill level? Contact us about attending a class to get you started.
- Véloteers should not register for a class. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Scholarship students should not register for a class. Please contact the Spokes Person.
For other questions, please contact the Maintenance Class Instructor.
This is a hands on class. Please bring your bike/one for each student.
- Dismount/remount wheels, remove tire, remove tube, inspect rim tape, repair tube (shop tube, not yours) and minor wheel tuning for proper braking
- Inspect and adjust brakes/cables
- Inspect crank-arm and pedals, inspect and lubricate chain
- Inspect derailleur cables and make minor derailleur adjustments
Attendance and Class Postponement or Cancellation
- The cooperative is supported through your generous donations and our volunteers. We ask for a $50 donation for the class through our PayPay account. If you would like to discuss other options, please contact us or stop by the cooperative.
- Because of many “no-show” students, if you elect not to pre-pay, you must confirm your reservation with a separate email to the instructor. Your booking is automatically placed on the “wait-list” and the seat will available to those who choose to pre-pay. After you register you will receive an email requesting confirmation. Students who do not confirm their attendance within seven (7) days will be removed from the class roster and the class is subject cancellation.
- Class will be postponed when Alexandria Public Schools are closed for inclement weather.Usually but not always to the Monday of the following week. An email will be sent as soon as possible.
- When there is an inclement weather forecast, a postponement decision is generally made no later than noon of the class date. Please check the email address you provided or contact the coop.
- Occasionally the instructor may have to cancel a class. Notification will be sent out as early as possible along with rescheduling options.