Basic Bicycle Maintenance Class
Come to the Co-op and learn about basic bicycle maintenance on your own bike. You will learn trail side repairs and the basic adjustments/repairs necessary to keep your bike rolling safely and smoothly. The class is about 3 hours long, from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
- Interested in becoming a Véloteer but not sure about your skill level? Talk to us about attending a class to get you started.
- Walk-in students are generally not accepted. Please don’t assume a class listed below has room for you.
- Véloteers should not register for a class. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Scholarship students should not register for a class. Please contact the Spokes Person.
- We try to make inclimate weather decisions as early as possible. In some cases a class following a weather event must be rescheduled to err on the side of safety. An email will be sent to registered students.
- For other questions, please contact the Maintenance Class Instructor.
This is a hands on class. Please bring your bike/one for each student.
Upcoming classes:No courses scheduled at this time.
- Dismount/remount wheels, remove tire, remove tube, inspect rim tape, repair tube (shop tube, not yours) and minor wheel tuning for proper braking
- Inspect and adjust brakes/cables
- Inspect crank-arm and pedals, inspect and lubricate chain
- Inspect derailleur cables and make minor derailleur adjustments
There are a couple things to keep in mind before registering. The class will be paced to cover the entire syllabus and we won’t be able to stop and repair individual bikes. Also, the class requires some experience with the use of wrenches, screwdrivers, and hex-keys (‘righty-tighty, lefty-loosey’ should be a familiar phrase). If you aren’t comfortable using these tools, please bring your bike to the shop prior to the class to get your hands a little dirty.
We’re very happy to help you learn but the classes are only so long and we try to respect everyone’s time. Rest assured that Véloteers are available Wednesday evening and on the weekend to help you apply what you have learned and assist with troubleshooting and repairs.
The cooperative is supported through your generous donations and our volunteers. We ask for a $50 donation for the class through our PayPal account.
Paid reservations do not require confirmation.
If you can’t or choose to not pay through PayPal, please confirm your attendance by 6:00 PM the Friday prior to the class. Students who haven’t paid and do not confirm their registration may be removed from the class roster at the instructor’s discretion. If you are the only student the class may be canceled and you will NOT be notified.
If you would like to discuss other options, please contact us or stop by the cooperative.