What we’re about
Our mission is to educate, encourage, and empower a vibrant and inclusive cycling community through learning. We provide a non-profit, volunteer-run, educational do-it-yourself workshop offering training, rides, and events to empower all levels of cyclists in building, maintaining, and embracing the fun of bicycles. A video introduction:
- Open Shop hours for do-it-yourself bike maintenance and repair, supported by experienced volunteers
- Used bike sales
- Used bike recycling
- Training classes in bicycle maintenance
- Full service bicycle maintenance (call for prices)
- Community outreach programs
- Community rides and social events
At Vélocity Bicycle Cooperative, you can
- Fix your bicycle
- Buy a used bike
- Help others
- Donate materials
- Hang out and meet new people
- Get tips on where and how to cycle safely in Alexandria
Sounds great, but how do you guys keep the lights on?
Though we’d love to provide all this greatness for free, it can get hot in the summer and we like having AC (plus sometimes we need to replace tools and other basic supplies). Not only do your donations help us keep everything running, our status as a registered 501c3 organization means all of your donations (cash and otherwise) may be tax-deductible, and we can give you a receipt to prove it. Suggested donations are listed below.
- $15 per hour for use of tools and shop supplies during Open Shop hours
- $10 per hour for training classes
- Used parts are around $5 and up, depending on quality and what kind of part
We welcome your donations of bicycles, bicycle parts, bicycle gear, clothing, and tools. Basically, we will take anything. Whatever we can’t use we will recycle responsibly.