27 Jun 2019 - 18:30
Come learn about basic bicycle maintenance on your own bike. You will learn trail side repairs and the basic adjustments/repairs necessary to keep your bike rolling safely and smoothly. The class is about 3 hours long, scheduled from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM. We tend to end a little after 9 PM. To ensure quality instruction, the class is limited to two (2) students unless pre-coordinated with the instructor.
This is a hands on class. Please bring your bike/one for each student.
- Dismount/remount wheels, remove tire, remove tube, inspect rim tape, repair tube (shop tube, not yours) and minor wheel tuning for proper braking
- Inspect and adjust brakes/cables
- Inspect crank-arm and pedals, inspect and lubricate chain
- Inspect derailleur cables and make minor derailleur adjustments
To cover this much material students will not be able to fully tune up their bike during class, nor will the instructor be able to interrupt the class to troubleshoot and help repair your bike. The class will be paced to cover the entire syllabus.
Véloteers are available Wednesday evening and on the weekend to help you apply what you have learned and assist with troubleshooting and repairs.
Bicycle maintenance requires a basic mechanical skill set. “Righty tighty, lefty loosey.” Use of wrenches, screwdrivers, hex-keys, etc. These skills are necessary to complete the class in the allotted time. If you aren’t comfortable using these tools, please visit the coop prior to the class with your bike for assistance. We’re happy to help you learn but have to respect all the student’s need to complete the class material.
Attendance and Class Postponement or Cancellation
- The cooperative is supported through your generous donations and our volunteers. We ask for a $50 donation for the class through our PayPay account. If you would like to discuss other options, please contact us or stop by the cooperative.
- Because of many “no-show” students, if you elect not to pre-pay, you must confirm your reservation with a separate emailto the instructor. Your booking is automatically placed on the “wait list” and the seat will available to those who choose to pre-pay. After you register you will receive an email requesting confirmation. Students who do not confirm their attendance within seven (7) days will be removed from the class roster and the class is subject to cancellation.
- Class will be postponed when Alexandria Public Schools are closed for inclement weather. Usually but not always to the Monday of the following week. An email will be sent as soon as possible.
- When there is an inclement weather forecast, a postponement decision is generally made no later than noon of the class date. Please check the email address you provided or contact the coop.
- Occasionally the instructor may have to cancel a class. Notification will be sent out as early as possible along with rescheduling options.